When you travel, there are some things you know, either because it’s public knowledge or you’ve been warned ahead of time, that you shouldn’t, or probably won’t want to wear. Revealing clothing in the Middle East. A parka in the tropics. You get the point.
But what if “the rules” aren’t particularly well known and no one tells you? You’re embarrassed. that’s what. And that’s exactly what happened to a couple from the Pacific Northwest.
A TikTok user named Linjeanw ‘fessed up that she and her husband were on vacation and “people were a little extra nice.” She couldn’t figure out why, until she discovered that the matching pineapple swimsuits she had bought for them was a “signal” that they were swingers.
Oops no one told me 🍍🍍🍍#notswingers #oops #pineapple #ididntknow #fy
Full disclosure here, as a non-swinger: I had NO IDEA this was a thing. Did you? But yeah, I did some research and apparently it is:
- “…his neighbors asked if him and his wife Lisa were swingers. When he asked them why they thought that, they replied saying the pineapple doormat made them think so. Apparently, a pineapple on your door is a way to let your neighbors know that you are a swinger.” (Elvis Duran/Iheart.com)
- On a cruise (and sometimes also on land) ‘pineapple’ is code for swinging or wife-swapping. If you see pineapple on a cruise ship door it means that the people in the cabin are up for meeting other couples for ‘adult fun’. (Cruise Mummy)
- Five subtle signs & symbols swingers use (Hedonism.com)
Some other signs of being a swinger are:
- A man or woman wearing a red ball cap
- White landscaping rocks in someone’s front yard
- Wearing a thumb ring
- Wearing a toe ring
- Switching the wedding ring to the right hand
- Yin-Yang tattoo
- Garden Gnomes
- Pink Flamingo
- Metal Star on the front of the house
So next time you’re on vacation, if you don’t want to be mistaken for swingers, keep the pineapple clothing (and red ball caps, thumb rings, toe rings, etc.) at home. Or bring ’em along if you’re into it. As long as everyone is an adult, in agreement and no one gets hurt.
I mean, live and let live, right?
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Want to sponsor a post, write something for Your Mileage May Vary, or put ads on our site? Click here for more info.
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and sign up to get emailed notifications of when we post.
Whether you’ve read our articles before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
I knew there was a reason for hostility, jealousy, and anger about Trump supporters! They wear a red ball cap that reads MAGA! MAGA – Make American Great Again / Massive American Genitals Again
Off topic Derek. The pineapple on cruise doors is a real thing but the clothing thing, not so much. The TikTok was likely done as hype. “Oh I didn’t know” “Oh how shocking” it’s all fake. Also the list with white rocks and stars on the front of houses isn’t true. Anklets are also a sign of some swingers but regular people wear those also. It’s like saying that because you wear a red shirt that you are a Red Sox fan. It might be true.