16 People Suffered Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Hilton Hotel In Ohio

by SharonKurheg

On the evening of Saturday, January 29, sixteen people, including a half dozen children, were reported as being found unconscious in the pool area of a Hilton branded hotel in Marysville OH, about 30 miles northwest of Columbus.

Fire officials are saying the cause of the incident, which occurred in the pool area of the Marysville Hampton Inn, is carbon monoxide poisoning.

The pool at the Hampton Inn Marysville is indoors.

a swimming pool with chairs and a large pool

PC: Hilton.com

According to local reports, first responders were called to the hotel around 5:30 p.m. after a 2-year-old girl was found unresponsive in the pool. More 911 calls about more unconscious people at the hotel’s pool then followed.

Marysville Police Chief Tony Brooks said that some people were not unconscious but were complaining of burning throats and dizziness (symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include headache, dizziness, weakness, upset stomach, vomiting, chest pain and confusion, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention).

In total, ten people were rushed to the hospital by ambulance and four others were walk-ins. Two other people were treated at the scene and didn’t require hospitalization, said Brooks. Most of the hospitalized victims have since been stabilized, some have been discharged. Others have been transferred to other health care facilities for further treatment.

According to the Columbus Dispatch, the hotel was quickly evacuated of guests and staff soon after the incident. Hampton Inn management made accommodations for guests to stay at other hotels. Those with upcoming reservations are instructed, apparently via a note on the Hampton Inn’s door, that their reservations have been canceled and to go to the Comfort Inn in Marysville.

The Hampton Inn is independently owned and, according to a quote of a spokesperson, they are, “fully cooperating with the local authorities as they investigate the incident.”

The source of the carbon monoxide remains unclear.

Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
Want to sponsor a post, write something for Your Mileage May Vary or put ads on our site? Click here for more info.

Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and sign up to get emailed notifications of when we post.

Whether you’ve read our articles before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!

This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary

Leave a Comment