Part 6 of 9: Day at Sea – Hangin’ Around the Ship, Enjoyin’ Doing’ Not Much…

In August of 2009, I (Sharon) deserted my husband Joe and our puppy Dobby (at the time we had had her for about a month and a half) to go on a cruise to Alaska with the choir of which I was a member at the time (we were booked to sing on the ship). Some of my writing style has changed since 2009, some of my snark is exactly the same and heaven knows that cameras and photos have improved in the past 8 years, but here is the trip report I wrote about those adventures…the good, the bad and the ugly! To get up-to-date on the trip:

Part 1 – Arriving in Vancouver
Part 2 – On board and getting my bearings
Part 3 – Rehearsals and relaxing
Part 4 – Juneau – Nature Trails & Humpback Whales
Part 5 – Skagway – Walking on a Glacier & Taking A Train to Canada

Today was very much a “do nothing” day. It was a day at sea with no rehearsals, no spa appointments, no nuthin’! That alone was wonderful. I made sure to NOT set my alarm and so, of course, after going to bed at 10:30pm, I was bright eyed and bushy tailed at 7:00am (I swear Dobby is channeling me or something).

Breakfast was an Egg Beaters omelette at the Lido buffet, after which time I walked around the ship and took pictures of the various lounges, dining rooms, pool areas, etc.


I next plopped my butt into a chair at the Exploration cafe and, except for having lunch with Antony, Colin, (Lord) James and (Lady) Brenda, pretty much spent the whole day there.

We went through Glacier Bay and I watched the glacier from my chair.



I took a nap in my chair (sorry, no pictures).

I updated my blog in my chair (still couldn’t post – I fixed one technical problem and gained another).

I liked my chair.

I finally got up to change clothes around 5:45pm, bidding my chair goodbye.

Our choir was scheduled to meet in the Atrium at 7:15pm for a group photo in our formalwear. I got there by 6:30pm, ordered a drink and hung out, people watching until some of the others arrived. It’s not so easy to get 50-something people organized but we did it in pretty decent time.

Dinner was, of course, very good. Since it was our “big” formal night, they had their “special” dinners – I got the surf and turf, which was fine – the lobster was good, the steak was OK. The side dishes and desserts were starting to meld into one big respectful side dish and dessert, with none of them particularly spectacular or memorable (the food on Holland America, in general, fell into that category…none was bad, but none was stupendous either. Just “adequate”).

Surf & Turf
Table art a'la Server

As always, I was exhausted by the time we were done with dinner and I went almost straight to sleep. What an old fart I’m turning into!

Leave a Comment