Happy Sunday to all our travel friends, both near and far. Here are some articles we’ve read from other bloggers (and other sources) that we think you may like, so we’re passing them along.
- In September, World of Hyatt launched their end-of-year promotion, which offered bonus points for Hyatt stays and a rebate for award stays until early January 2021. I talked about what a good offer it was when I was a guest on the Miles to Go podcast. Unfortunately, our next Hyatt award stay fell just after the end of the promotion. That’s why when everyone else was thrilled about the announcement of the ease in earning Hyatt status in 2021, I was excited that the Bonus Journeys promotion has been extended until the end of February. Since we have the World of Hyatt credit card, we’re going to get back 25% of the points from our 4-night hotel stay as well as saving at least $35 per night on parking fees.
- About a year after Sharon and I started YMMV, we began a Facebook group as another way to share information about travel. Since then our group has been very successful – we talk about points & miles, hotels, flights, airports, the TSA, credit cards, theme parks & other travel destinations, etc., as well as share funny travel stories, memes, etc. You’re welcome to join us! Around the same time that our group started, a Disney-themed group called Walt Disney World Adults Only started on Facebook. They talk about anything and everything about WDW when you go without kids in tow. Their group has been super duper successful, to the point that they recently started their own YouTube channel. Walt Disney World Adults Only on YouTube launched just a month ago and has already amassed over 500 subscribers. They post two videos every week, with topics ranging from WDW planning trips for first timers, to discussion videos for those in the know. Check them out at https://www.youtube.com/c/WDWAdult.
- The 737 Max is back and ready to resume service. Airlines can’t wait to start flying the plane because it’s more economical than the older planes it will replace in a fleet. To make customers comfortable about flying on a plane with such a tarnished reputation, American Airlines is letting people tour the plane (on the ground) as if that means anything about how safe it is in the air. If you want to find out what it’s like to fly on the “new” 737 Max, you’ll have to check out the post on Andy’s Travel Blog. Because it’s Andy, you’ll also be treated to several great pictures of the plane.
- To earn cash, hotels and airlines have been on a points selling spree and are offering bonuses for transferring and purchasing points. Most recently, Southwest Airlines is selling points with a 70% bonus. Is that a good deal? Maybe not for most people but for some it may make sense. If you ask me, now would be the worst time for someone to buy points unless there’s a redemption planned right after the purchase.
- What is manufactured spending? I tried to explain it for those who have never heard of the term but I’m not an expert. If you want to take a deep dive into the subject, check out Nick’s Complete Guide to Manufactured Spending on Frequent Miler. It goes into almost every way you can use credit cards to earn points or miles.
- A few months ago, airlines wondered why more people weren’t flying despite all of the HEPA filters and blocked seats. At the time, I tried to explain that airlines couldn’t do anything more to get people to fly because the reasons people weren’t traveling were out of their control. Flash forward to today and maybe you’ve read about the family who tested positive for COVID-19 at the airport but still decided to get on their flight. This selfish action of a couple gives a perfect example of why travel hasn’t made a comeback.
Want to comment on this post? Great! Read this first to help ensure it gets approved.
#stayhealthy #staysafe #washyourhands #wearamask
Like this post? Please share it! We have plenty more just like it and would love it if you decided to hang around and get emailed notifications of when we post. Or maybe you’d like to join our Facebook group – we have 16,000+ members and we talk and ask questions about travel (including Disney parks), creative ways to earn frequent flyer miles and hotel points, how to save money on or for your trips, get access to travel articles you may not see otherwise, etc. Whether you’ve read our posts before or this is the first time you’re stopping by, we’re really glad you’re here and hope you come back to visit again!
This post first appeared on Your Mileage May Vary
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.